Friday, August 20, 2010

End of Course Reflection

 One of my favorite components of this course and the CEP 810, 811, and 812 sequence in general, is the incorporation and focus on various instructional strategies.  I was then able to focus on incorporate making those instructional strategies a part of a technology integrated lesson making it more authentic.  I look forward to learning about and focusing on more effective instructional strategies as they are the core of any lesson.  I have always understood the basis for constructivism, but because of my work here, I am now armed with more tools to effective facilitate a technology-rich lesson using this teaching strategy.

While being introduced to many of the Web 2.0 technologies, I found myself trying to think of unconventional ways to use these technologies to accomplish conventional tasks.  We currently live in a world where collaboration has been made possible in ways that one would have never imagined.  Information can be shared via the web in so many ways that it is often too much to take in all at once.  While thinking of ways to integrate the Web 2.0 technologies into my practice (both administrative and instructional), I want to be mindful that the use of these tools make me and others more accessible than ever, which could lead to unrealistic expectations.   I will be sure to monitor myself and caution students to monitor themselves so that they are not consumed with is use of these technologies to accomplish tasks. 

The use of Delicious has been one of the biggest triumphs for me.  I learned how to use RSS Feeds in CEP 810, but found it difficult to organize and keep up with the volume of information.  After editing my feed to include only the most coveted sites, I was then able to keep track of articles and blog posts that I really like and that were relevant to something that I am working on via Delicious.  Sharing links with others is a major plus.  During my work on my SIG project, it was so easy to share documents with my group members.  I foresee myself using this with colleagues during the school year as we learn to use the technology that has been purchased in our district using tech bond money. 

As the courses conclude, I feel armed with a variety of new instructional strategies and technological tools that are ready for implementation.  More than anything, I will continue with the idea that the use of technology should not be a replacement of what I currently do, but rather an improvement of what I currently do.  If not an improvement, there is not reason to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Great point about accessibility, expectations and Web 2.0 tools. I wish I could say that as an RKE staff, we have to worry about unrealistic expectations - it's been a struggle with getting others (teachers and ISD staff) to "buy" into using Web 2.0 collaboration tools in my building. Keep your fingers crossed - I'm going to try again this school year with Google docs and Google Calendar=8-)

    ReplyDelete