Monday, August 16, 2010

CEP 811 MMC Online experience

The State of Michigan really did a good job of outlining what classifies as an online experience. When this was introduced as part of the graduation requirements, our school did not focus as much on this component as we did on how we were going to get all students through 4 years of mathematics which includes Algebra.  

In my classes, I plan to use the Webquest that I’ve created and I want to continue to find a way to implement wikis in mathematics.  This past year, I used them help with study skills.  Students were grouped in 3s and 4s and had to maintain a section of a wiki using wikispaces for a particular chapter throughout the semester.  At the end of the semester, the entire class had then built a study guide for the final exam.  Throughout the process, I encouraged students to use many different techniques to present the material.  They used many forms of mixed media and I asked that they explain concepts in a variety of ways.  The pedagogical strategies highlighted were cooperative learning, using graphic organizers, and using discourse in the discussion forums.   

Many of the textbooks on the market these days come with a variety of CD and online components.  I plan to utilize the online Test Preparation tools and find others that will give my students that type of immediate feedback experience.  In one of the webquests, I noticed that someone used Google docs to create a quiz.  I’m not sure how this was done, but I am going to look into it because it could be an asset in my classroom.  


I’ve given it a lot of thought, but cannot find a way to integrate the use of student-created blogs into the mathematics curriculum.  I plan to use a blog to communicate with parents and students, but would love to know if there are ways that they can be used and generated by students in a meaningful way to facilitate the teaching of mathematics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment